What’s holding you back?
You don’t need the beginning of the year to find the perfect moment to make important or less important decisions. Or to find the moment to sit back and reflect on what we want to achieve life.
So I was wondering:
- What is it you want to achieve this year?
- What is it you want to achieve in life?
- I wish you luck in ________________. Fill in the gap. What may I wish you ?
I’m curious to hear your feedback, so please do leave me a reply.
In the meantime, I’ll share an answer I received a couple of times these last few days and weeks.
Several people have shared with me their wish to start a business, their wish to have the courage to start it, their wish to face the fear of failing.
Starting a business…
Is it a wish?
Is it a dream?
Is it a goal?
There’s one particular fantastic lady who has the dream of starting a business, she already has worked as a freelancer in the past, only now she has a corporate job which she combines with some minor freelancing work. However, she would really love to leave the corporate job and get back to being an entrepreneur full time.
Still something is holding her back. What is she afraid of?
What’s keeping you from realizing your business dream?
Why are you stalling?
By the way, for those of you who are not stalling, for those of you who are building great businesses (and many of you are, I know, because many of you are my clients :-))… don’t take this article personally. 🙂
Here are the top reasons people do not start their business, or don’t make other important business-related decisions.
It’s not something I invented, these are the answers people often give me when I ask the question “what’s holding you back”.
And some of them were also my excuses for not starting my business sooner…
- I don’t have the skills
- I don’t have the money
- I’m not good enough
- I’m afraid to fail
- I’m afraid to be overwhelmed
- I’m afraid to be lonely
- I’m afraid to fail the family
- I won’t be able to attract customers
- What will people think of me?
- I’m afraid to stand out
- It’s the economy, stupid
- I’m afraid to face the uncertainty
- I don’t know what business I’d like to start
- I have family obligations
- And this is one of my favorites: it’s not the right moment, I’ll start when I……. (fill in the gap)
Here are some of my answers… sorry if I come across as blunt. Well, actually I’m not sorry. What good coach/mentor would I be if I don’t challenge my readers and coachees once in a while? 🙂
- You don’t have to be perfect – perfect doesn’t exist
- There are always ways to find money
- Get yourself a coach and get over your self-doubt – it’s a mindset thing (more about that later)
- Failing is good, it’s the best way to learn
- You don’t have to do everything by yourself, find yourself a VA, or partner, or buddy…
- Find yourself the right people to talk to, like mastermind group or a buddy or a coach/mentor
- Your spouse will not leave you and your kids will not hate you because you try to achieve your dreams, even though it may be difficult at times
- Get yourself a Personal Branding coach (like myself :-)) and I’ll teach you some sales skills along the way 🙂
- Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind, don’t matter. And those who matter, don’t mind.”
- OK if you are afraid to stand out from the competition and if you are not willing to get over it… then you’ve got a point. Then it will be difficult to attract clients and build a brand and business. However, I’m sure it’s all in the mind.
- Economic slowdowns can be prime opportunities to get your startup off the ground. Don’t believe it? Ask General Electric, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Disney, Burger King or Apple
- And your actual job is fun, fulfilling, rewarding and certain, is it?
- Ok, do some thinking and market research first. I can help you with that. And so do many career coaches.
- Who doesn’t?
- Imagine lying on your death bed thinking “now is probably a good time to start a business, however, soon I’m dead, so I’ll guess this is not a good time either…”
I’m sure you do not completely agree with all my answers. That’s fine 🙂
We all have excuses…
We all have limiting beliefs…
But my question to you is:
“Do you think that there is a person on this planet who was worse off than you are now and still started a successful business?”
If that’s a YES (and it is a YES), then why are you making these excuses?
Why wouldn’t you be able to be successful?
The last thing I want to share with you in order to challenge your excuses, is the fact that I believe that it is all in the mind.
It’s all about mindset.
Take one of your excuses and ask yourself the following questions (from The Work, Byron Katie):
- Is it true? (Yes or no. If no, move to 3.)
- Can you absolutely know that it’s true? (Yes or no.)
- How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought?
- Who would you be without the thought?
Example: “I’m not good enough”
- Is it true? Yes
- Can you absolutely know that you are not good enough to start a business? NO
- How do you react when you believe you are not good enough? -> makes me feel down, afraid, uncertain, small
- Who would you be without that thought? -> Confident, no longer afraid, ready to start that business now!!
Well, you get the picture, don’t you?
So how about you? What’s your excuse for not taking the first step to achieve your dreams? Tell me.
Share if you like! Many thanks.